First Principles Teaching Series Lesson III
How to have a Victorious Christian Life
It is not enough to tell God’s people to live right. They must be taught how to live right, by principles outlined in the scriptures and godly leaders demonstrating the Christian life.
Paul encouraged the Church in 1 Corinthians 11:1,
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
And in Philippians 3:17
Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
Listen to Paul again in 1 Timothy 1:
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
See also Hebrews 6:
10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
Salvation is in three tenses:
- The Christian has been saved from the guilt and penalty of sin (Lk. 7:50; 1 Cor. 1:18; 2 Cor. 2:15; Eph. 2:5, 8; 2 Tim. 1:9) and is safe.
- The Christian is being saved from the habit and dominion of sin (Rom. 6:14; 8:2; 2 Cor. 3:18; Gal. 2:19-20; Phil. 1:19; 2:12-13; 2 Th. 2:13)
- The Christian will be saved at the Lord’s return, from all the bodily infirmities that are a result of sin and God’s curse upon the sinful world (Rom. 8:18-23; 1 Cor. 15:42-44), and brought into entire conformity to Christ (Rom. 13:11; Heb. 10:36; 1 Pet. 1:5; 1 Jn. 3:2).
Salvation is by grace through faith, is a free gift and wholly without works (Rom. 3:27-28; 4:1-8; 6:23; Eph. 2:8). The divine order is: first salvation, then works (Eph. 2:9-10; Titus 3:5-8).
Justification: To declare righteous. Rom. 4:25; 5:1, 18
Sanctification: Set apart. 1 Cor. 1:30; 2 Th. 2:13; 1 Pet. 1:2
The Path to a Victorious Christian Life:
1. Look to Jesus as your focal point (John 14:6; Heb. 12)
2. Glory in the Cross (Rom. 6:3-5; Gal. 6:14)
3. Depend on the Holy Spirit for power (Rom. 8:1-2; 11)
4. Guaranteed victory will result (Gal. 6:14)