I have heard you teach that the book of Judges can be studied by looking at the roles of women in the book, can you outline this?
The book of Judges can be outlined according to the roles of the women in the book, these divisions coincide fairly well with the introductory phrases.
- 1-3 A warrior wins a wife and a father blesses his daughter
- 4-5 A courageous woman lures a foreign warrior to his death
- 6-9 A woman delivers Israel from a power hungry oppressor
- 10-12 An Israelite warrior wins a battle but brings a curse upon his daughter
- 13-16 A foreign woman lures an Israelite warrior to his death
- 17-21 Israelite women oppressed by their countrymen